Safe Tourism in Cuba. Protocols and measures that every tourist should know.
In these times, health safety had acquired a new meaning; hygiene is essential when making a travel decision.
In Cuba, to preserve the health and safety of tourists and workers in the sector, the Ministry of Tourism, in conjunction with the Ministry of Public Health, and following the dictates of the World Organizations of Health and Tourism, has conceived the Tourism + Hygienic and Safe Certification (T + HS).
Established certification is granted to tourist facilities and services that comply with the strict hygiene-sanitary and security protocols outlined in the T + HS condition. Among them are measured to maintain physical distancing, the existence of means of cleaning and disinfection for hands and surfaces, daily health and temperature controls of tourists and workers, clinical-epidemiological surveillance during the stay of clients in the facilities hotels, with the presence of doctors, nurses and hygiene and epidemiology technicians, 24 hours a day.
The certification process is progressing rapidly. In the months since its implementation, 1,543 T + HS certifications have been granted, which respond to a total of 2,164 accommodation, non-hotel, support and administrative facilities.
The following protocols have been established to be fulfilled by all tourists arriving in Cuba.
- Hold a negative RT-PCR test result, carried out 72 hours before the trip, certified by laboratories in origin countries.
- Upon arrival in the country, perform a diagnostic test for COVID-19 RT-PCR, free of charge.
- Have an insurance policy covering COVID-19 or acquire it upon arrival in the country, at the airport, for USD 30 or its equivalent in another freely convertible currency.
- The use of face masks are mandatory until the result of the RT-PCR test is known.
- In the case of presenting any respiratory symptoms, you should contact the health personnel of the facility.
If you test positive for COVID-19:
- If it is symptomatic, you will be transferred to a hospital.
- If you are asymptomatic or suspicious, you will be transferred to a hospital hotel.
For positive case contacts:
- They will remain in the hotel facility in isolation
If you wish to extend your stay, the RT-PCR test must be carried out again, at the cost of 30 USD or its equivalent in another freely convertible currency.
If, when returning to your country of origin, you need to bring a COVID-19 test with you, you can do it for the cost referred to above, at the medical facilities listed below:
- Siboney International Clinic
- Camilo Cienfuegos International Clinic
- Institute of Tropical Medicine “Pedro Kourí” IPK
In the rest of the country:
- In the territorial branches of Cuban Medical Services (SMC)
If tourists stay in hotel facilities and require a PCR test to return to the country of origin, they can request it from the facility’s medical staff where customers stay. Payment for the test will be made by magnetic card.
Generating confidence in those who visit us and complying with the new requirements in terms of hygiene, health and safety are priorities of Cuba’s tourism industry.
*Information taken from: https://www.mintur.gob.cu/turismo-seguro-en-cuba-protocolos-y-medidas-que-todo-turista-debe-conocer/